mostly cos I was too tired to post yesterday
I got the rest of the floor framing put together yesterday, & then put wood screws down through each piece to fix them to the trailer floor.
It’s quick to say but much longer to actually do, yanno?
& then I caulked all the way around the outside edge, which took ELEVENTY YEARS & demonstrated that I have like no experience with caulk.
I took this picture to show how lumpy it wound up but it sort of settled I guess.
Anyway there’s no water getting in through THERE & that was the whole point.
After that, insulation. Hypothetically you’re supposed to run whole sheets of this insulation over the framing instead of cutting it into pieces & putting it between but I’m doing a floor not a wall so they can cope. Whoever ‘they’ are.
First you measure & mark …
… then you score & snap …
… then you shove each piece into place & go around the edges with the tyvek tape.
I have no idea if this is a standard use of tyvek tape but it made sense. I cut the foam so it doesn’t need to be fastened in place — it squeezes in & stays — so all the tape has to do is keep water out.
I got three sections of insulation done yesterday before my spine said HAHAHAHA NO MORE OF THAT JUST NOW
Also I live here, isn’t it pretty?
I figure between breaks I’m doing maybe two or three hours of actual construction work a day. Which is EXHAUSTING. Turns out construction is hard work! Who’d’ve thought?
Today my first task was pulling the 2×12 boards out of the van so I could cut them to size & then paint them, & let me tell you, ladles & genumints, I almost stopped right there.
But I wanted to get them painted & finish up the insulation before my roommates show up tomorrow with a truckful of stuff that we’ll be unloading Sunday & Monday, so I kept going.
The nice thing about painting in New Mexico — especially when the sun’s out — is by the time you’re done the first coat, it’s ready for the next one.
I let that sit for a while & worked on the insulation. By which I mean I took like six breaks & cuddled Loiosh & poked at the insulation in a desultory fashion.
But I finally got the insulation in place & mostly taped before I ran out of tyvek tape. Fortunately it’s reasonably inexpensive.
Here’s the last two boards, nicely purpled, & that is IT for the day.
Tomorrow I am TAKING A BREAK. After that will be three days of dealing with roommate stuff. Sometime later next week, after I’ve had a chance to buy more tyvek tape & get the RIGHT kind of construction adhesive, I’ll be getting back to this project.
In the meantime, BATH.
This was posted originally to my Patreon, a little over a week ago.
If you want to see these posts sooner, & not incidentally help support me & my cats in our travels & such, the way to do that is to sign up as one of my Patrons for as little as a buck a month.
I’d REALLY like that.