Posted on

SPOON: progress!

20220906_132632

[ A corner next to the bed platform in Tyrava; it has a cabinet built into it, made from old weathered pallet wood. ]

Lots of progress to post about! In between working on a 12×16 cabin for me & the business, I’ve been making improvements to Tyrava. Mostly storage; one of the big problems with small houses is storage. Hence, a cabinet next to the bed, for Jasper to store stuff in. Continue reading SPOON: progress!

Posted on

tyrava: bed platform

Not long after I got back from Colorado, I had a visitor, & so did Tyrava!

20210521_115857

[ Tyrava, seen from the side, takes up part of the driveway; parked next to her, and a little ahead, is a vardo perhaps half her length, green with blue trim, with two windows on the side. ]

My friend Sarah showed up with her wagon house for a couple days at the beginning of her massive road trip. It was really cool getting to see her setup, & we couldn’t resist getting a couple photos of the two vardos together.

Once she got back on the road, though, I had to get to work. Continue reading tyrava: bed platform

Posted on

land trip: door repairs edition

Not long after setting out — in fact, before I’d actually left the driveway — I realized that Tyrava was having a problem, which was that her back door wasn’t staying shut.

Since she was carrying approximately half of what I own at the time, this was KIND OF A PROBLEM.

The immediate solution was obvious …

20210507_103934

[ Tyrava’s back doorknob, a fancy black lever, is fastened to a heavy-duty handle next to the door by a bungee cord. ]

… but the actual fix was gonna hafta wait til I’d had a chance to stop at a hardware store.

20210507_103940

[ A close view of one of the heavy-duty hinges holding Tyrava’s back door on. The screws that should hold it in place are visibly pulling out of the door. ]

Given that the screws were only an inch long & set into the particle-board interior of the original door, yeah, they were gonna pull out eventually. Fortunately it was an easy fix. Unfortunately I hadn’t brought any clamps big enough, so I hadda buy another one.

… oh well, not like you can have too many clamps.

20210507_103947

[ A quick-release clamp that’s a good eighteen inches long sits on the seat of my comfy folding chair, along with a package of more heavy-duty door hinges and a baggie of LONG screws. ]

I’m glad I thought to GET the clamp, otherwise I’d’ve been trying to hold the door in place with one hand & probably my knee while trying to get screws in with the other, & that never goes well. But this made it easy.

20210507_104306

[ The door’s all the way open, and clamped into place; one of the screws formerly holding the hinge to the door is partway out, the rest waiting their turn. ]

The new screws are four inches long. THAT oughta last a while.

20210507_104605

[ Four new screws holding the hinge in place. Everything looks properly lined up and sturdy. ]

& then I added a third hinge, on the theory that overkill is rarely a BAD idea.

20210507_105555

[ There’s now a third heavy-duty hinge between the two that were holding Tyrava’s back door in place. It’s closer to the top one than to the bottom, because I just slapped it on there. ]

Success! The door is held firmly in place! It still closes & opens correctly! It’s not going anywhere!

… it still flaps open if I drive Tyrava over anything bumpy, I DO NOT KNOW WHY & IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING, but at least the door is staying on the hinges now.

Posted on

it’s a wall!

20210207_155707

[ That wall section that’s right next to Tyrava’s front door is done now, all the way to the top. At the base of the wall is a scattering of tools and stuff, including a rubber mallet, a drill and driver set, and a lot of screws. ]

Last bits!

20210207_155721

[ A slightly fisheyed view of one of Tyrava’s side walls, which is now entirely paneled in reclaimed wood. There’s a single window about halfway down. Right now it’s just a hole covered with tyvek. ]

It’s an entire wall!

Next up, that window!